This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Please see my full disclosure for more information.
Would you like to know how to find productive things to do at home?
You might have a lot of free time at home, or just be bored.
Even if you don’t have much free time, you can still make the best of it. Making better use of my time was something it took a while for me to learn.
I would be busy around the house and look like I was getting things done but really, I wasn’t accomplishing anything!
I had to learn things to do to be productive and be organized during my free time or when I just didn’t have anything to do.
It’s easy to become unproductive when you have nothing to do. You could fall into a trap of becoming lazy and unmotivated.
If you don’t have a routine or a system in place to help you maintain your momentum, you could easily fall into the habit of procrastinating.
If you’ve been having trouble getting things done or don’t know where to begin trying to find productive activities to do, I can probably assist you!
Start with Adopting Productive Habits
Some of the most highly productive people usually have the same daily habits for productivity. There are many habits that you can adopt in order to become productive.
A productive person’s life starts with their morning routine; it sets them up mentally as well as physically for what they want to accomplish during the day ahead.
Productivity has nothing to do with how busy you are rather about how effective you use your time while accomplishing different tasks throughout the day.
Below are a few of the habits of highly productive people:
- They wake up earlier to maximize your time to get things done
- They have a routine or schedule
- They write productive tasks down on a checklist to keep track of progress and stay accountable. Make sure productive tasks are realistic and reflect what really needs doing instead of unnecessary busywork.
- They do one task at a time. Doing one thing at a time can help productive people avoid distractions which could ultimately lead to wasting their day away.
- Productive people also take breaks
- They prioritize tasks based on priority
- They cut down on distractions.
- They set goals
- They ask for help
It’s not simple to just develop these habits so easily. It takes work, time, and effort. But with consistency, you can achieve this.
25 Easy Productive things to do at home
Here are 25 productive things you can do at home during your free time or when bored.
1. Clean your house
– Cleaning helps many people relieve stress by focusing on one task at a time rather than thinking about everything else going on in their lives. It’s also something productive that can be done easily anywhere from home or even while sitting outside enjoying nature.
2. Set Goals
– Set goals daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly so you can have more clarity as far as what needs to get done today vs tomorrow, etc. This will help keep tasks prioritized which ultimately leads to getting things done in less time with better results since distractions are cut out (internet).
3. Organize under your kitchen or bathroom sink
– Organize under your kitchen or bathroom sink. It’s always nice to be able to declutter a bit and finally get some things organized that have been needing it.
4. Clean out your closet
– Clean out your closet and donate those clothes that do not fit you or make you feel good. This will help declutter your life as well as give it to someone who might really need it more than yourself.
5. Try a new hobby
– Find a new hobby or activity that interests you and start doing it today! It doesn’t need to be time-consuming, just something fun to get involved in for now. This will help keep boredom away.
6. Read a personal growth book
– Catch up on some reading of a self-improvement book or blog posts like this one from someone who is inspiring! There is never a bad time to work on improving yourself. Take some time and work on you!
7. Get a headstart on future work
– Find something productive to do like getting a head start on your work for tomorrow or the weekend. It’s always nice to have fewer things you need to do when you get home and more time relaxing if that is what you’d prefer!
8. Make a checklist of tasks
– Write down in your planner all of the productive tasks that are planned out during this day so it doesn’t slip your mind and stay productive!
9. Make a weekly meal plan
-Create a weekly meal plan. This will be very helpful when it comes time to grocery shopping and you need something quick for dinner!
10. Mix housechores with pleasure
-Find productive things that are enjoyable. For example, if watching Netflix is your favorite thing to do at home try adding productive tasks like doing the dishes while there’s a new episode on or folding some laundry.
11. Organize Files
-Organize files on your computer. This can be a productive task for those who work from home or have to open many files on their computer.
12. Start a new DIY project
-Create DIY projects around the house. For example, you could make your own cleaner with some ingredients that are usually in your kitchen!
13. Try a new healthy recipe
-Smoothie time!! Pack all of the fruits and veggies into a blender and get ready to enjoy one delicious guilt-free drink full of nutrients your body needs!
14. Tackle big clutter jobs
-Clean up clutter around the house before it gets out of control. This is another productive thing people at home should do regularly because it will save them lots of time later when they want to clean but there’s too much stuff lying everywhere.
15. Adjust or create your budget
-Review your budget or start a budget if you don’t have one. Being productive at home also involves being smart about the way you spend your money.
16. Learn a new skill
-Learn a new skill. This is productive if you want to have a new way of making money or even just enjoy learning.
17. Cook a healthy meal
-Cook a healthy meal at home with your family instead of going out all the time.
18. Try listening to a podcast
-Listen to a motivational Podcast while you are knocking out a project around the house.
19. Start a gratitude journal
– Do a gratitude journal every day for at least two weeks. This will help your subconscious mind to focus on positive things rather than negative ones, thus helping you become more productive in other areas of life as well like relationships or work-related matters.
20. Update your vision board
-Update your vision board or create a new vision board. This will help you to set new goals and re-evaluate your purpose in life.
21. Start a New Workout Routine
-Plan an effective workout routine to keep yourself fit and healthy if needed. This is great if you have been wanting to start a fitness or weight loss journey or lifestyle.
22. Find ways to decrease stress
-Decrease stress or anxiety by meditating or doing yoga. This will help you to stay productive as well because negative feelings may make it hard for you to concentrate on the task at hand.
23. Declutter or deep clean your workspace
-Do a deep clean or declutter of your home/workplace if needed. By doing this, more room will be created mentally and physically.
24. Go for a walk
-Go outside! Nothing can beat the energy of nature and spending some quality time under the sun after being stuck inside all day long.
25. Pamper yourself
-Pamper yourself and your body every once in a while. Try a new self-care routine. When we feel good about ourselves and our bodies we are in turn productive because of the positive vibes that go through us.
Practice being productive daily with tips
-Make a to-do list every day. This is good for organizing your life and prioritizing what needs immediate attention in order of importance while also giving you the opportunity to complete tasks that may have been on your mind but never got around to actually doing them.
-Write down three things that went well each day, no matter how small they are. This will trigger positive emotions for productive days ahead thus helping you become more productive as a whole.
-For the next month focus on one productive thing a week or even every two weeks instead of doing everything at once which makes it harder to stay focused and finish all tasks successfully, thus having productive results at the end of the day.
-Taking care of yourself from within goes a long way towards helping you be productive both externally and internally. Make sure to eat healthy nutritious food so that you have enough energy throughout the day.
-Drinking water regularly will help your body function better too – hydration helps us think clearly and concentrate properly.
-Also make time daily for meditation and/or yoga practice which has shown to increase productivity levels among individuals.
One of the best ways to stay productive at home is by making a plan for yourself. You can use this list as inspiration, but take some time to figure out what tasks are appropriate for your current situation and schedule.
Do you want to clean up? Get organized? Read or study something new? Take care of any unfinished work from earlier in the day? Maybe it’s just time to rest and recharge with a good book!
Whatever’s important to you, make a little bit of progress each day.
What are some ways you use your free time at home or when you’re bored to find things to be productive?
Let me know in the comments!
If you found this information helpful, please head over to my blog section and check out other posts you may find informative.